Two “key-foundations” for any successful business are offering Paramount Service and true “Value for the Dollar” with consistency every customer, every time.
Unfortunately, missing one or both combined is all too common in service businesses. The end-result is that both the customer experience and the business’ cash register suffer the consequences.
This past weekend, my young daughters and I travelled to Jackson Hole, WY where we experienced far differing service and value at many different types of businesses, restaurants and hotels included.
Granted this is a high-traffic year-round tourist destination, and certain businesses may mistakenly believe that repeat business is not as essential as it is in any-town USA, but in the age of on-line reviews this is dangerous thinking. In two of our experiences, these blatant “misses” were so obvious that even my kids were surprised. They had words to say both to me and in online review sites for these businesses.
The bottom line is this: Service and value are the cornerstone of your business image and reputation! Every customer has expectations that are either met, exceeded or fall short. The first line of “offense” is of course your staff. Train them well and train daily in the finer points of paramount service and then as owner or manager, personally audit your service and value equation on a regular basis.
Listen as my youngest daughter tells all about her reasonable expectations, disappointments, excitement and satisfaction from a few of our different experiences in Jackson Hole.
Give this episode a listen then go out there and Rock Your Restaurant!
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
COMPLETE TRANSCRIPTION BELOW
DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE. SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ON ITUNES SO YOU CAN LISTEN IN YOUR CAR, WHILE YOU WALK YOUR DOG OR WHILE YOU TRAVEL! KNOWLEDGE ON THE GO + FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Restaurant Rockstars has customers in 22+ countries and we are just getting started!
Join our movement today to help restaurant owners and managers on a global level ROCK THEIR RESTAURANTS! This mission is so important to us that we are offering a crazy generous commission plan. Check it out!
More Great Podcast Episodes:
- Feb 13, 2019 Episode #150 Credit Card Processing For Restaurants DeMystified Feb 13, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 Episode #149 Five Powerful Letters Spell Restaurant Success! Feb 6, 2019
- Jan 31, 2019 Episode #148 Is your Restaurant Capturing Lightning in a Bottle? Jan 31, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Episode #147 Does Your Menu Print Money? Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 Episode #146 How To Get The Greatest Employees On The Planet! Jan 16, 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Episode #145 How To Capture More PROFIT From Your Restaurant DATA Jan 3, 2019
- Dec 19, 2018 Episode #144 Everything You Need To Know About Food Trucks & Restaurant Equipment Dec 19, 2018
- Dec 12, 2018 Episode #143 Do You Really Need To Take Reservations? You May Be Surprised! Dec 12, 2018
- Dec 6, 2018 Episode #142 A Winding Road of Restaurant Success with Jesse Vazquez Dec 6, 2018
- Nov 27, 2018 Episode #141 A Brewmeister’s Keys To Building A Successful Business! Nov 27, 2018
- Nov 20, 2018 Episode #140 Don’t Rely on Social Media to Market your Restaurant - Erik Shellenberger Nov 20, 2018
- Nov 9, 2018 Episode #139 Make More Money Over The Holidays (START NOW) Nov 9, 2018
- Nov 1, 2018 Episode #138 When Staffing Your Restaurant Fight Fire with FIRE! Nov 1, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 Episode #137 Service that Stinks Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 17, 2018 Episode #136 Genius Biz Lesson From THE ROLLING STONES Oct 17, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Episode #135 What The VIBE Says About Your Restaurant Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 2, 2018 Episode #134 A New Restaurant Profit Center On the Fly! Oct 2, 2018
- Sep 26, 2018 Episode #133 The MOST Important Detail in your Restaurant! Sep 26, 2018
- Sep 18, 2018 Episode #132 Strategy From A Top Brand Expert Sep 18, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Episode #131 The Secret to Wild Restaurant Success! Sep 12, 2018
- Sep 5, 2018 Episode #130 Does your Indie stack up to the Competition? Sep 5, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 Episode #129 Restaurant Pet Peeves - don’t let them happen in your place! Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 14, 2018 Episode #128 Everything You Need To Know About Beer With Don Tse Aug 14, 2018
- Aug 6, 2018 Episode #127 One Cool Tip: How an ICEBERG can Double Your Restaurant Sales! Aug 6, 2018
- Jul 30, 2018 Episode #126 One Foot From Disaster, My Journey To Wild Success Jul 30, 2018
- Jul 17, 2018 Episode #125 If You’re Not a Social Media Junkie, Someone Better Be! Jul 17, 2018
- Jul 11, 2018 Episode #124 A Seasoned Operator’s Keys to Mega-Success Jul 11, 2018
- Jul 3, 2018 Episode #123 Why You Should Add “Scorpions” To Your Menu Jul 3, 2018
- Jun 27, 2018 Episode #122 Lessons Learned Going from Hotdog Stand to World’s Largest Nightclub! Jun 27, 2018
- Jun 20, 2018 Episode #121 One Word That Creates Staff Magic! Jun 20, 2018
- Jun 6, 2018 Episode #120 The Only Way To Staff Your Restaurant Jun 6, 2018
- May 31, 2018 Episode #119 Build Your Brand Inside and Out! May 31, 2018
- May 24, 2018 Episode #118 The AMAZING Power of EMPOWERING YOUR STAFF! May 24, 2018
- May 17, 2018 Episode #117 Ambiance or Food, Which Comes First? May 17, 2018
- May 10, 2018 Episode #116 When Concept Executions Go Wrong (or right) May 10, 2018
- May 3, 2018 Episode #115 Your Recipe For Success Fails Without This ONE Ingredient May 3, 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Episode #114 Stay Relevant or Become the Next Restaurant Statistic! Apr 24, 2018
- Apr 17, 2018 Episode #113 Launching a New Concept - Mr Bing On Fire in NYC! Apr 17, 2018
- Apr 12, 2018 Episode #112 Talking Restaurants with World-Renowned Celebrity Chef David Burke Apr 12, 2018
- Apr 4, 2018 Episode #111 Where else can you get $250,000 in 10 Minutes? Apr 4, 2018
- Mar 27, 2018 Episode #110 Your people are your greatest asset Mar 27, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Episode #109 It’s All About Cash Flow And ROI Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 13, 2018 Episode #108 Build Your Brand with Ideas For Holidays & Big Events Mar 13, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Episode #107 Last Minute Tax Advice from an Industry Expert Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 1, 2018 Episode #106 Marketing Firepower Starts With Your Brand! Mar 1, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Episode #105 Why We Love That Old Staff Magic! Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 8, 2018 Episode #104 So You Think You Want To Start A Restaurant Feb 8, 2018
- Feb 1, 2018 Episode #103 Build Your House On This Foundation! Feb 1, 2018
- Jan 24, 2018 Episode #102 Can Your Operation Use a Makeover? Jan 24, 2018
- Jan 17, 2018 Episode #101 In The Age Of Online Reviews This Is Dangerous Thinking Jan 17, 2018
- Jan 10, 2018 Episode #100 Key Learnings from a Global Hospitality Entrepreneur Jan 10, 2018
- Dec 22, 2017 Top 5 Podcast Episodes of 2017 Dec 22, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Episode #99 The Truth About Your Competitors Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 5, 2017 Episode #98 If You Build It Will They REALLY Come? Dec 5, 2017
- Nov 28, 2017 Episode #97 Inventory in Half the Time, No Kidding! Nov 28, 2017
- Nov 14, 2017 Episode #96 Too Crazy To Believe - A True Story Nov 14, 2017
- Nov 2, 2017 Episode #95 Is Technology Replacing True Hospitality in your Operation Nov 2, 2017
- Oct 25, 2017 Episode #94 More Money in Your Register, Night after Night! Oct 25, 2017
- Oct 17, 2017 Episode #93 A Winning Strategy For Your Restaurant From Your Favorite Sports Team Oct 17, 2017
- Oct 11, 2017 Episode #92 HIT THE JACKPOT with your Restaurant’s Marketing Oct 11, 2017
- Sep 26, 2017 Episode #91 Is Your Restaurant Running You? Sep 26, 2017
- Sep 14, 2017 Episode #90 Maybe The Most Important PROFIT BUILDER In Your Restaurant Sep 14, 2017
- Sep 6, 2017 Episode #89 Are Millennials REALLY Hard to Manage? Sep 6, 2017
- Aug 29, 2017 Episode #88 Astounding Service That Knocked My Socks Off Aug 29, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Episode #87 Make THOUSANDS of NEW DOLLARS with Relationships Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 Episode #86 How To Crush Restaurant Marketing With Erik Shellenberger Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 8, 2017 Episode #85 I Started A Mug Club And Earned Almost $50K More A Year! Aug 8, 2017
- Aug 4, 2017 Episode #84 The Secret To Getting + Keeping Great Restaurant Staff Aug 4, 2017
- Jul 26, 2017 Episode #83 8 Great Things To Tell Your Staff Today Jul 26, 2017
- Jul 18, 2017 Episode #82 The Cash Is In Your Pocket Or Theirs Jul 18, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 Episode #81 Staff Turnover...NEVER again... Jul 10, 2017
- Jul 5, 2017 Episode #80 These 3 Things are Vital to Your Success Jul 5, 2017
- Jun 22, 2017 Episode #79 How To Deliver AMAZING Customer Experiences Jun 22, 2017
- Jun 13, 2017 Episode #78 Disaster may be around the Next Corner Jun 13, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Episode #77 Get Bulletproof or Die! Jun 6, 2017
- May 31, 2017 Episode #76 A Financial Expert Tells All May 31, 2017
- May 23, 2017 Episode #75 Are your Customers Peeved? May 23, 2017
- May 16, 2017 Episode #74 WOW Your Customer or your Competitors Will! May 16, 2017
- May 9, 2017 Episode #73 A Secret Weapon For Your STAFF May 9, 2017
- May 1, 2017 Episode #72 Here’s A Profit Center More Profitable than your Restaurant! May 1, 2017
- Apr 25, 2017 Episode #71 How To Print Money in your Restaurant with Cash Cows Apr 25, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Episode #70 Explode Your Restaurant’s Marketing Firepower! Apr 18, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Episode #69 "Paramount Service" Knows NO Pricepoint! Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Episode #68 Secrets From A 5-Star Kitchen w/ Rachel Wiener of the St. Regis Deer Valley Apr 6, 2017
- Mar 28, 2017 Episode #67 Could You Leave Your Restaurant? Exit Strategy Part 2 Mar 28, 2017
- Mar 22, 2017 Episode #66 Never Quit, Never Say Die Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Episode #65 How To Absolutely Dominate The Competition! Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 9, 2017 Episode #64 The Money’s Either in Your Pocket or Theirs! Mar 9, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Episode #63 The Heart & Soul of a Restaurateur Feb 22, 2017
- Feb 14, 2017 Episode #62 Would Your Restaurant Win an Oscar? Feb 14, 2017
- Feb 2, 2017 Episode #61 What Would Happen if You Left Your Restaurant? Feb 2, 2017
- Jan 26, 2017 Episode #60 Why and When You Should Close Your Restaurant Jan 26, 2017
- Jan 9, 2017 Episode #59 Recipe for Disaster in Your Restaurant Jan 9, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Episode # 58 How to Tell if your Menu is Printing Money or Losing Money Jan 2, 2017
- Dec 27, 2016 Episode #57 Find Out NOW if Your Least Profitable Menu Items are Your Biggest Sellers! Dec 27, 2016
- Dec 21, 2016 Episode #56 How to Save 4% on your Food Cost - Do This Now! Dec 21, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 Episode #55 Dominate Your Competition With Personalized Guest Service Dec 12, 2016
- Dec 7, 2016 Episode #54 How To Sell More Gift Cards This Holiday Season! Dec 7, 2016
- Dec 5, 2016 Episode #53 A Simple APP That Rocks Your Beverage Sales & Trains Your Staff - PART 2 Dec 5, 2016
- Nov 28, 2016 Episode #52 This Chain Has it Dialed & Your Restaurant Can Too! Nov 28, 2016
- Nov 22, 2016 Episode #51 Are There Leaks In Your Restaurant's Labor Costs? Nov 22, 2016
- Nov 16, 2016 Episode #50 Boost Your Beverage Sales & Train Your Staff With One Simple App Nov 16, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 Episode #49 Is Hospitality A Lost Art? Nov 7, 2016
- Nov 1, 2016 Episode #48 Why The Absolute Best Servers Assume The Sale Nov 1, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Episode #47 This FREE Restaurant App Is A Game Changer Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 20, 2016 Episode #46 - Hiring the Wrong People with the Wrong Approach? Oct 20, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 Episode #45 Part 2 - Your Burning Restaurant Questions Continued with Jaime Oikle of Running Restaurants Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 12, 2016 Episode #44 Part 1 - Burning Questions From Restaurant Owners with Jaime Oikle of Running Restaurants Oct 12, 2016
- Oct 4, 2016 Episode #43 TOP TIP - Why Fast Food and Full-Serve Restaurants Don't Mix Oct 4, 2016
- Sep 27, 2016 Episode #42 Systemize Your Restaurant Right From The Start Sep 27, 2016
- Sep 14, 2016 Episode #41 Fix what's broken or you'll repeat your mistakes! Sep 14, 2016
- Sep 1, 2016 Episode #40 Don't Hire Another Employee Until You Hear This Sep 1, 2016
- Aug 17, 2016 Episode #39 You Can’t Have TOO Many HOOKS!! Aug 17, 2016
- Aug 3, 2016 Episode #38 Kill It Or Get Killed - 25 Actionable Ideas For Your Restaurant! Aug 3, 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Episode #37 Fill Your Seats night after night for $300 Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 20, 2016 Episode #36 TOP TIP - Why CLOSING your Restaurant will SAVE you $$$! Jul 20, 2016
- Jul 13, 2016 Episode #35 A Rocking Marketing System On The Cheap Jul 13, 2016
- Jun 18, 2016 Episode #34 Don’t Fear Technology… Fear a Restaurant without a System! Jun 18, 2016
- Jun 7, 2016 Episode #33 Wobbly Tables Wobble Your Customer - The Solution Once and For All Jun 7, 2016
- May 31, 2016 Episode #32 This Customer Convenience Adds Higher Profit Sales Without Taking Up Seats May 31, 2016
- May 18, 2016 Episode #31 How to Run A Restaurant That Doesn't Run You - Jaime Oikle of RunningRestaurants.com May 18, 2016
- May 11, 2016 Episode #30 The Real Scoop on your State Restaurant Association May 11, 2016
- May 9, 2016 Episode #29 If Your Staff Doesn't Notice, Your Guests Will! May 9, 2016
- May 4, 2016 Episode #28 Eric Cacciatore of Restaurant Unstoppable - Why I Surround Myself With Industry Leaders May 4, 2016
- May 2, 2016 Episode #27 How to Build Your Brand & Print Money by Dining in Your Own Restaurant! May 2, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 Episode #26 Got the Back of House Blues? Here’s your Answer! Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 25, 2016 Episode #25 Is Your Restaurant Crazy Profitable or Just Popular? Apr 25, 2016
- Apr 20, 2016 Episode #24 How To Launch A Hot New Concept With Brett Payne Of Classic Rock Coffee Apr 20, 2016
- Apr 18, 2016 Episode #23 When Hospitality Goes Wrong - And I Wine! Apr 18, 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 Episode #22 What Happened to the Service in a Service Business? An Interview with Chef James Clary. Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 10, 2016 Episode #21 The MEGA Power of Your Restaurant's Daily Pre-shift Meeting Mar 10, 2016
- Feb 9, 2016 Episode #20 The Power of Using Restaurant Intelligence To Build Your Business & Brand Feb 9, 2016
- Feb 3, 2016 Episode #19 What's My Dentist Got To Do With It? Feb 3, 2016
- Dec 21, 2015 Episode #18 Building Your Dream Team Dec 21, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Episode #17 Fantastic Food Overshadowed By Inconsistency Dec 11, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Episode #16 The Challenges of Leasing vs Buying Dec 11, 2015
- Oct 30, 2015 Episode #15 The devil is in the details in Denver Oct 30, 2015
- Oct 12, 2015 Episode #13 - Get a free copy of my new book Oct 12, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Sales Stars Server Training - Double Your Profits Oct 1, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Episode #12 - The Power of A Kid Friendly Restaurant Oct 1, 2015
- September 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Episode #9 - Is Your Restaurant Wildly Successful? Aug 27, 2015
- Aug 18, 2015 Episode #8 - Make More Money Aug 18, 2015
- Aug 11, 2015 Episode #7 - Are You Running a Restaurant or a BUSINESS? Aug 11, 2015
- Aug 4, 2015 Episode #6 How to Build Affinity, Loyalty and Repeat Business. Aug 4, 2015
- Jul 20, 2015 Episode #5 - An Amazing Dining Experience in Columbus Ohio Jul 20, 2015
- Jul 14, 2015 Episode #4 - How to Cost Your Menu to Maximize your Profits Jul 14, 2015
- Jul 2, 2015 Episode #3 - How to Achieve a Restaurant Hat-Trick Jul 2, 2015
- Jun 23, 2015 Episode #2 - Assume the Sale Jun 23, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015 Episode #1 - Create a Kick-Ass Brand (not just a restaurant) Jun 15, 2015
EPISODE #101 TRANSCRIPTION
[Start of Transcript]
You’re tuned in to the Restaurant Rockstars Podcast. Powerful ideas to rock your restaurant, here's your Host Roger Beaudoin.
Welcome back to The Restaurant Rockstars Podcast. You know to absolute essential in this business are providing true value and what I call Paramount Service to your customers each and every customer regardless of your concept or your price point. It should be an operating philosophy, part of your mission statement and a point of pride for your entire team to treat each and every guest like they're your most important guest.
Unfortunately, this approach is not the norm when I visit restaurants or businesses there any type where I live or where I travel. This past weekend my daughter had a ski race in Jackson Hole Wyoming, it's a 5hour drive for us; we selected a hotel well in advance at the base of the slopes partly for the convenience but mostly because of the heated outdoor pool which is a must for my kids, I enjoy this amenity as well.
Now, Jackson Wyoming is one of the world's great ski destinations and as one would expect, it obviously attracts a sophisticated well-traveled and well-heeled clientele. But really the local population of regular hardworking folk, families and ski bums are the backbone of the community. Now listen and learn as our experiences differed at a variety of businesses resort hotel, hit modern motel, high end restaurants, Chinese takeout the local bagel shop and a bowling alley.
The lessons learned are the same regardless of the price on your menu or the service provided, hospitality is either present or noticeably absent.
Your operations reputation, your online reviews and ultimate success are dependent on providing true value for price paid with paramount customer service. This is what brings customers back again and again, delivers 5-star reviews and has customers singing your praises there is no more powerful and cost effective marketing on the planet, listen up!
Rockstars let me introduce my daughter Maddy who at a very young age has a really great understanding of both value and service. This is her take on our experiences in Jackson. So Maddy, what happened when we arrived at our hotel?
Maddy: We checked in and we went to our room, it was a little outdated and kind of you know old and so we weren’t totally hooked on it. But so, we decided to go to lunch. We were hungry after the long drive; so we went to lunch and we sat down and the lady came and took me and my sister's orders but forgot about my Dad.
She walked away like just like he was invisible and then came back with a lame apology just explaining that, “Sorry about forgetting your order”
Roger: So how was the food?
Maddy: The food was OK but the only thing was that...
Roger: We were treated like just any other customer right? Nothing special?
Maddy: Yeah, nothing really special, wasn’t the greatest lunch experience ever but the food was good and the price was good so it was a reasonable lunch.
Roger: Awesome! So what did you want to do next?
Maddy: We wanted to go to the pool, that was the main reason that we came to the hotel.
Roger: OK, so we went out to the pool, what did you see?
Maddy: Well, we saw the pool, wasn't anything special, just kind of around with like one little net, there was no towels on the towel rack and my Dad was like, “OK, I'm going to go up to the room to get towels. But first you better feel the pool to make sure because there was no steam coming off the water”
Roger: Exactly! So you tested the water and what was it?
Maddy: It was ice cold!
Roger: Freezing water actually, so it's a really good thing that you didn't you guys didn't just jump in like you usually do because you would it came shooting out of there like a cannon right?
Maddy: Yeah, that would have been true and so we decided to go and find out what the deal was. So, we went to the front desk and asked the lady. She shrugged her shoulders saying, “I don't know it's probably going to be done by tomorrow but we're not really sure, they're working on it”
Roger: So oh no, there was no heated pool, I mean again you said that was the reason why we picked this hotel, we needed a pool. So, then what did we do?
Maddy: So, we decided we will go to another place where my sister's team are staying and will check it out.
Roger: OK so it was a motel not a hotel but you actually called this place right? You asked them a couple things, what did you ask them?
Maddy: First of course, I asked them if they had a pool that was a definite need and they get they said there was really big and really warm.
Roger: Then what did you ask them?
Maddy: Then I asked them if they had a room for two nights and they sounded really friendly and said, “Yes come and check it out”
Roger: Awesome so we checked out of our hotel went to this motel and how did the place looked from the outside?
Maddy: From the outside, it looked really cool and the lobby the guy was hip and really cool and told us everything about the hotel info and where to park. And said if we need anything, to give him a call and he would take care of it all right?
Roger: So good I mean that's what he said, he said, “Give me a call, I'll take care of any of your needs; let me know if anything isn’t to your expectations” I'm like wow that is so great so what do you think of the rooms Maddy?
Maddy: The room was beautiful and had a buffalo mirror behind the bed and a cool chalkboard word search that explained words of Jackson Hall.
Roger: That was fun right? The first thing we did was he grabbed the chalk and we started finding the words you know everything about Grand Teton National Park and all the cool stuff that we'd see in Jackson and that was a really cool touch. How were the beds?
Maddy: The beds were really cone contemporary and you could just sink into them and they're really comfy.
Roger: Yeah, they were really comfortable beds.
Maddy: Alright let's move on Dad! So, we went to dinner that night how was the service?
Roger: So as you know, we went to three different places, the first place we couldn't even get into the parking lot it was so packed so we just turned around and kept moving. So, we went to two more places and everywhere we went they told us the wait is about an hour. But finally we found a restaurant that would take us in 10minutes or so and they said they'd see this at the Pizza Bar Now that was really cool because we used to have this wood fired pizzeria back in Maine right and we could sit there and watch the pizza makers so that was great.
And they only had one size 12inch pizzas just like we did but the big difference was, they were twice as expensive. We used to charge what $13-$15 for specialty pizzas. But here the prices were double but I did really enjoy my rubella salad with shaved Parmesan. What did you and your sister order Maddy?
Maddy: We ordered spaghetti and meatballs.
Roger: How did the spaghetti meatballs taste?
Maddy: They tasted fine but that wasn't the problem, the problem came in when my Dad saw the bill. $40 for me and my sister's dinner? It was only spaghetti meatballs, that was ridiculous!
Roger: OMG! I was like blown off my stool right? It was crazy. So obviously, I needed to speak to the Manager again you said it $20 portion for a kid's spaghetti and meatballs. Nothing else, no fruit, no vegetable to accompany it; just a plate of spaghetti.
So, I just had to say that you know I've eaten all over the world but never ever have I seen a kid's portion of spaghetti for twenty bucks. I know your food cost on that portion, I get this is Jackson Hall but how can you justify charging this much for a kid's meal?
The Manager was pretty cool though I have to say he was accommodating and he thanked me for bringing this to his attention. But was this really the first time a customer complained about the lack of value here, so to me this was a real blatant negative against both the service and value of this restaurant. So, next morning where did we go for breakfast?
Maddy: We went to a really cool bagel shop right next to our motel that was convenient. We went inside and got in line. When it was our turn, we ordered our food and started waiting for our food they made it right in front you.
The people are nice, guy their order right the first time if they do the simple but delicious and with a good price. The place got filled up quick; everyone got great service and great food.
Roger: Yeah, there's no wonder why there are lines out the door there so we went back the next day and we had we just had to go back but we went a little earlier to avoid the crowd. So, how about dinner Saturday night what happened there?
Maddy: That night for dinner we decided to order takeout Chinese restaurants I wanted orange chicken I googled it and called the place asking if they had it?
Roger: You absolutely love orange chicken so that was a must but ironically that place the Chinese restaurant was right next to the motel so I was able to just walk over there in place my order so I walked in and the owner took my order and I asked for orange chicken with vegetables because I always want you guys to eat healthy OK. But the owner was really rude to me, he said, “No! That's two orders. Wow! I was really surprised because whenever I go to a Thai or a Chinese place, usually they're pretty accommodating even if you have to pay extra you know for the veggies.
But interestingly, the restaurant was totally empty except for just one other customer sitting at a booth, it's Saturday night at 6:30, there's only one customer in the place. Maybe there was something to this rude owner thing.
Maddy: My Dad brought the food back to our motel and it was good, after we ate, I decided to look at reviews and most of them were terrible.
For a while, I didn't get why they were so bad but then the next day, my Dad told me about how rude the owner was and I understood.
Roger: Yes, many of the complaints online talked about the owner not only being rude but then tacking on the 16% automatic gratuity even though the service was bad in 90% of the cases. So, this probably happens there based on my experience with the owner.
So there you have it folks, my kids and I had several other experiences this weekend at gas stations, convenience stores, retail shops and even a bowling alley.
Now, I'm not going to go into any more details because of the interest your time. But the flame fact is service and value really very dramatically all over town. So, here's the bottom line train your staff to put themselves in the customer's shoes, treat everyone like they want to be treated like they're the best customer in the business and make sure your pricing offers true value and respect for each customer's business and don't forget to take it from the expert.
Maddy: You better give great service at a good price because I might be your next customer.
Roger: Look out guys, Maddy's coming!
Thanks for listening to The Restaurant's Rockstars Podcast. For lots of great resources, head over to restaurantrockstars.com and while you're there, download a copy of the book, ‘Rock Your Restaurant’ it’s a game changer, See you next time!
[End of Transcript]